Saturday, November 5, 2011

The night before the day. And the day.

After a completely packed day (think of what that means to you and ... double it...I looked at the clock at 4:45pm and realized I had not eaten one bite all day b/c I was too busy to think about it...) Rachel picked me up at 6:30 pm and off we went with the suburban and a U Haul trailer to Spokane.

The trip went so fast ... having a good friend to talk to sure helps the most boring ride in the NW!

We arrived at Krispy Kreme and went inside to make the purchase. Problem...my bank sets a daily limit on a purchase amount....and $2800 definitely exceeds that set amount. Fab-u-lous. So we try it and it's denied. Of course they don't take checks...of course no ATM is going to give me $2800 in cash and of course this is 9:30 pm and I'm stuck. We then did the donut holes at $900 and that worked but the $1900 for the donuts would not work. If we split the amount, we would lose the volume discount which was $100 ... since that $100 would be going directly to each of our families bringing our babies home...no way were we going to throw it away. Then Rachel said "I have a credit card I can use" and she did it and she went on to explain how that card is never in her wallet but last night...she felt compelled to put it in there. Oh...we were so thankful...!

So we purchased our donuts and pulled around back and attempted to back a U Haul trailer in to load up. OK we are not the Suburban-pulling-U Haul-driving type of girls and this was a task. But ... we got there. Sort of ;)

We completely filled the U Haul with donuts. Both of us were feeling a bit sick just from the overwhelming smell of KK by the time we were done loading!

We started home and I don't quite recall when we arrived but it was very late. 12:30 maybe? I texted Dean to come out and help us and he did...in a delirious state ;) We transfered a bunch to our vehicle and then went in for the night. Dean went back to his delirious state...and I....well...I started making 10 large poster boards for the sale. I hope they looked good b/c I was sure out of it.

It was after 2 am and I went to get into bed. I had a strong thought of "you should read tonight". I haven't missed but tonight...well this was definitely an exception. I couldn't even stand straight. Not because it was after 2am but because it was an exhausting day in every way. As I was getting ready for bed it was stronger and I was reassuring myself I wasn't going to miss anything by missing tonight. It was too strong. Fine. I got out of bed, grabbed my Bible and opened to my reading. Currently in Psalm, Luke and Micah. Luke is where my bookmark was so I thought "I'll start here". Luke 5 was my spot.

Verse 4. When He *(Jesus) had finished speaking he said to Simon, Put out into deep water and low down the nets for a catch"

vs. 5. Simon answer, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything...But because You sayso, I will let down the nets".

I stopped there. Dean bought me this Bible just before I went to Africa January 2010. There's no markings in it anywhere (except the chocolate pudding stains from when my dessert exploded in my bag on my Bible en route to Africa that trip). But on this page the words "But because You say so" are underlined and dated...January 6, 2010. That really hit me. This was a few days before my first trip to Africa. And it definitely hit me tonight.

It didn't make sense. Can you imagine being Simon? You just fished all night long...like...A~L~L night. And Jesus says "put your nets in". Wouldn't you look at Him like...'really...? Am I missing something here...?". Simon did. But then he said this. "But...because You say so"...

and I didn't need to know the rest of the story. It didn't matter how it ended to me. What mattered was that's where I needed my heart to be.

We bought 350 dozen KK donuts for our last adoption. And ended up giving away 75 boxes or so. We profited but not much. It was a long, hard, very very cold December day and I was like "wow...I'll never do that again!". Now we were doing it again. And both of us felt strongly about going for more. It didn't make sense. ... ok but wait....what DOES make sense here? What in the world are we even doing? This wasn't in our plans to begin with. At all.

400 dozen KK and 600 dozen KK donut holes. If we sell it all...profiting $3000...$1500 for each family.

"But because You say so..."

The rest of the story is awesome. Go look it up. You don't have a Bible...? Google Luke chapter 5. You'll find it.

There is so much power in what He says.

I closed my Bible and got into bed and I knew that was exactly what He wanted me to hear.

Peace.

Morning came way to soon and off we went. We loaded everyone up in 2 vehicles so we could get each location started.

When we arrived to Walmart where we were meeting Rachel's fil and Jackie and her daughter Kayla...I felt overwhelmed. What in the world are we doing? 1000 boxes of donuts? What if we don't sell?? That's $2800 of donated money that we just threw away! We need that money...

I prayed..."I'm scared...I can't do this...please give me something..." and I reached and turned the radio on. It was set on 91.3. The music of a new song was just started and when it did...I stopped.

...Never once...did we ever walk alone...
Never once...did You leave us on our own...
You are faithful...God You are faithful...

that was it. I was now sitting in the car with tears coming down my face. Never once. Never once. He wasn't asking us to walk alone and though this was a leap of faith He was there...

I won't say much about the day b/c it was a long day. With gifts...galore. Gifts in the form of people. To the people that volunteered their time...my heart says Thank You. To 3 specific individuals...my heart is speechless. Vonne Marlatt. Jackie McWherter. Jessica Bravethunder. What a gift each of you were. I don't even have the words to say. They came, they worked...they worked and they worked. They worked like they were bringing their own children home from China. The hours each of these women put in...know that the words are not enough when we say "thank you...from the bottom of our hearts...thank you". Perhaps seeing the (if not immediate) ... eventual smile and light in little Josie, Zihao and Taizi's eyes someday and knowing you were such a huge part of that light...perhaps that would be the best way to really say "thank you".

...

The song never left me all day. At one point I had to come home with a not very well Izrael and put her to bed. Dean stayed out all day and Tirzah, Zion and Zunduka sold donuts from 9 am til dark with their Daddy! Chazano, Azlan, Azahria and Izrael came home with me.

We do have donuts left so I don't have the final count...Vonne just asked to take the rest of the donuts to her church in the morning where she was given permission to sell them there. Right at this moment if we never sold another bite...we are +$1800. That's $900 each.

It's not over.

We are so glad...that...

"Never Once" by Matt Redman:

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment