Saturday, November 23, 2013

Make a wish...

If you were granted one wish…what would it be?

This morning, Taizi and I got out in the cold and made it to Macy's just on time. We were invited by Macy's and Make A Wish foundation to speak to their staff for the new "letters to Santa" fundraiser.  I was told nothing, just come and speak.

We came in to the center of the staff circled around us and I was briefly introduced and then given the floor. I told Taizi's story.  Just a piece of it.  And I looked around to see many women wiping tears.  Then I told what this Wish is doing for our family is just a few weeks. How our amazing children never once have asked why we adopted Taizi. How they never once have complained about numerous trips to Seattle for Taizi.  And how when they found out Taizi was granted a wish…they were so excited for him.  And then I figured out that they didn't know they were included in his wish…! That moment was amazing.  It was pure joy.  The staff all cheered for Taizi and then presented him with a special Christmas ornament and stocking.  Many of them walked up to me at the end to thank us for giving Taizi as I mentioned…"the gift of life".

On the way home Taizi was the in the back of the car in his carseat and we are driving down the freeway.  I have the radio on…which I hear…and he doesn't.  And the song "Kings & Queens" comes on.

Little hands, shoeless feet, lonely eyes looking back at me
Will we leave behind the innocent too brief
On their own, on the run when their lives have only begun
These could be our daughters and our sons
And just like a drum I can hear their hearts beating
I know my God won’t let them be defeated
Every child has a dream to belong and be loved

[Chorus:]
Boys become kings, girls will be queens
Wrapped in Your majesty 
When we love, when we love the least of these
Then they will be brave and free
Shout your name in victory
When we love when we love the least of these
When we love the least of these

Break our hearts once again
Help us to remember when
We were only children hoping for a friend
Won’t you look around these are the lives that the world has forgotten
Waiting for doors of our hearts and our homes to open

[Chorus]

If not us who will be like Jesus
To the least of these
If not us tell me who will be like Jesus
Like Jesus to the least of these

Boys become kings, girls will be queens
Wrapped in your majesty
When we love, when we love the least of these
Then they will be brave and free shout your name in victory
We will love we will love the least of these
We will love the least of these
We will love the least of these
We will love the least of these
We will love the least of these 
We will love the least of these


Without looking in the back seat…I reached my hand back there. Blindly.  I could hear Taizi banging his head back and forth against his seat.  And suddenly..perhaps 5 - 7 seconds after I stretched my arm back there…I feel this tiny, tiny, warm hand slip into my hand.  I got chills.  It was such a sweet moment.  We held hands for as long as I could…until my arm began to hurt.  

We stopped to get donuts on the way home for the kids and instead of carrying Taizi, I held his hand and he walked. And it took forever. And it was cold. And it was so so warm.  


Taizi's wish is Florida. We fly out very soon for a week of being spoiled and not having to worry about a thing.  We are really really looking forward to this trip…all 12 suitcases are lined up and getting ready to go!


As I thought about making a wish…I remembered my sister recently was here visiting and we asked each other over breakfast what our wishes would be.  I thought for a very long time and finally said "my wish would be to go to Heaven. And come back". Coming back would be a very important part of it. First b/c I am going to Heaven someday…I don't need to wish for that. Second…because I would love to tell, with unshakeable passion…everyone else all about Jesus and how very very real Heaven is.  

4 comments:

  1. Your family is so deserving of this special wish. I hope the time together as a family in a fun, fun place is the best week ever! I wish your wish would come true, too, because I always feel my faith is always tinged with a bit of doubt, and I would love to hear firsthand of what heaven really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire…it's all just a breath away! As James MacDonald recently said "If there were no doubts, it wouldn't require faith" <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice and Dean! My wife and I were looking at your blog tonight. I met you today at breakfast at Make a Wish and you gave me your blog site. Y'all are an incredible inspiration. We are still praying about when to start our adoption process. I hope y'all had a great week here and may God continue to bless your family. - Darin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darin! So great to meet you. Thank you for doing what you do and helping so many families. We had an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete