Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fear...not.

I have fears. And I fight fears.

Tonight I sit here completely overwhelmed by this whole Malaysian Airlines thing.  I have so much fear of flying...it's only gotten worse as time has gone on.  And now ... these are the things I think of when I get on a plane. What if...? Do I trust these people...? (No!) Do I trust this pilot...? (...no) If I panic can I get out of this situation...? (...no).  AHH!

I was sitting here thinking "it's ok...I'll just never fly again" and I realize how that's just not logical. Yet...

Fear.

I really don't want to be held captive by fear.  There's no freedom in that. To the contrary...it's an ugly feeling and it is simply put...bondage.

While I type that I keep wanting to say "yah..but..."

Jesus spoke so very often about fear.

"fear not". Do. Not. Fear.

That makes it sound like I have a choice or something...

hmm...

Would He tell me not to fear if I had no control over fear...?


I recently read Psalm 46:2-3 and though I have read that many times before...I stopped in my tracks.

"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging."

Whoa.

What...?

Ok let's go there. I won't be afraid EVEN IF....the earth completely crumbles with mountains falling into the sea...and the seas freaking out...I won't be afraid.

What...?

In other words...what ever hypotheticals exist in your mind...whatever "yah but.."'s really...can't top that.  Because even then...God says I have nothing to be afraid of.

That's as extreme as it gets.

Some of us are going through some pretty scary things right now.  Financially. Feels like your world is falling apart...doesn't it...? Where will we live...? What will we do...? our kids? our friends...?
What about our health.  What if this report is that deadly diagnosis...SURELY it would be acceptable to be afraid then...right...?

God says we have nothing to fear.

The end of our story is already written.  Cannot be moved.  So if this little piece of the story is all crazy ... it's ok.

Why...?

How...?

Well verse 1 says it all:

"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble."





1 comment:

  1. Thinking of your family, & hoping all is well!! :)

    ReplyDelete