Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Altering summer plans.

We homeschool our children. And we love it.

Our life is pretty crazy busy and homeschooling is extremely flexible.  Allows us to focus on Azlan very one-on-one more than he would get in a school setting because of his speech difficulties.  Allows us to all travel for medical appointments in Yakima and Seattle...and may even allow for us to take the entire month of December off... ;)

We take the summer off. Always.  We all love that.

Last week, Chazano came to me and said "I have a BIG question. I want something really bad".  So I'm all ears!!

He then says "can I do school all summer?" Huh...?

He goes on to explain that he's 10 years old and feels he can be close to caught up to his age level if he does school all summer.

Yes. He's right.

No, this does not go with my plans.

This is a big deal.  He very very rarely takes initiative for anything.  It's hard to get him to voice his wishes, he just goes with the flow.  So this is a very big deal.

Desire.  Initiative. Problem solving.  We've worked hard to get to this point.  The fact that he cares is even a big deal.

So to honor that...our plans changed. We won't do full scale school but we will do school throughout the summer.

The moments you would never understand PRE-adoption.  It's been 5 years since he was adopted...and it took 5 years to see this moment.

Here we go! :)

2 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying read your posts and can't wait to see sweet little ZhenAI finally come home to her forever family.

    I just realized that our family lives in the same state as yours; I do not know what part of WA you live in, but it would be amazing to meet someday. I have little brothers who are close in age to your boys. :) Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, contact me! janice.walker@me.com

      Delete