Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What if ... it's a lie?

You have heard it...hundreds of times.  I've been comforted with it...hundreds of times.  Yet...it's a lie.

"He won't give you more than you can handle!"

Really?

Somehow there are superhuman among us?  They are stronger, braver, more resilient than any of us can fathom?  They can hold their babies in their arms as they take their last breath....and they can handle that? That's not too much...?

Huh?

No.  We are often given much more than we can handle.

In my reading a few weeks ago, I read this verse.  And I sat in my bedroom closet, on the floor, reading it over and over again.  The next night...I read it again...and couldn't get past it to read more.

This.

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (Jesus said)  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. 

For when I am weak, then I am strong.

This.


We have been falsely comforted.  Yes. We are given much more than we can handle. People suffering through tremendous hardships ... they have the same emotions, struggles, fears...that you do.  They can't handle more than you can.  No...no. They just have someone who can.

In my weaknesses...the power of Jesus is visible. Because I can't...and He can...it's so obvious that it's Him, not me.

At some of the hardest, lowest points in my life...I have seen the most of Jesus.  Why? Because I needed to.

We live such self-sufficient lives.  We really can keep God in our little "Sunday go-to-meeting" box.  Pull Him out when we need to.  

When something is shaky in our lives instead of crying out for His strength...we question His very existence.  What....?  Yes.  It's true. We all do it.

When I had nothing in Africa....nothing.  Lost our baby. Thousands of miles away from my husband and children...I had no where else to draw support from. That's when I saw His love. His grace. That's when I heard His voice.  Because...I was desperate for it! Everything else had quieted. I was forced there by my inability to go on.

In my weakness...I saw His strength.

Instead of comforting each other and ourselves...which Christian-ese cliches that are definitely not founded in the Bible...let's acknowledge...we are given more than we can handle. 

We need Him.  

For when I am weak...then I am strong.  
Through Christ. 
 Christ in me.  




4 comments:

  1. You are so right... I fully agree.
    It's so hard for many to believe, but it is true. He's never promised an easy path. Or a light load. But He has promised to be there. And to love us. And to be our strength. Our rock. If only we will be still.

    Oh, no You never let go, through the calm & through the storm. 🎶

    Grateful for His word. And His strength in MY weakness.

    I love your heart, Janice. Thank you for sharing... You're an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following your blog for a while and it is such an encouragement to me... Thank you for being so transparent, for being real about the tough stuff and for always directing our gaze upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for opening my eyes/heart a little further...Love Craig

    ReplyDelete