Thursday, May 19, 2016

The gifts.

Last week, someone that I don't even know, spoke wisdom into my life.

She said "Janice...promise me something. Promise me you will look for the gifts along this journey.  There are so many gifts...and if you don't look for them, you will miss them."

That random thought from a near-stranger shifted my focus every single day that followed.

Every single hard, gut-wrenching day.

Gifts.

You see what you look for. There is no question.

We have been looking for gifts and we have found them. Every single day. In often...the most unlikely of places.

It's been so wonderful for us to even tell the people who were the gift to our hearts that day.

I don't know what you are going through. And I know...you don't know what we are going through.  But someday when you find out...you will wonder how we breathed our way through it. I promise.  Hard up until now... has been merely 'not great' in comparison.

I am here to tell you...as a living survivor...that there are gifts along the way.  Gifts that if you don't look for them ... you will miss them.  This has made us intentional. Focused on what matters.  Searching for joy.  Searching for gifts.

And finding them.

Beautiful...heart felt gifts. That, yes, I can truly say....we would have never ever experienced if it weren't for this dark path we are on.

I have woken in the middle of the night with one line from one of my favorite songs in my head.  So loud I have wished I could shut it off. Yet...grateful that I couldn't. Because it needed to be that loud.

From Diamonds by Hawk Nelson....that one line "it's here in the ashes....I'm finding treasure..."

I can say with every fiber of my being...it's true.

It's so true.

Here in the broken ruins of this mess .... there is treasure. And it's so beautiful.

I am choosing to share now...in a vague way...yes, I know.  It is vague but someday you will see the rest of the story.  I'm sharing it while I'm in it...because I'm not the only one.  You are in the hard too. I know...because I have received so many emails and private messages thanking me for encouraging you in your hard. That's the magic.  In the depths of despair...we can still offer hope to others.

Please...promise me something.  Just one thing.

Look for the gifts. Because there are so many gifts along this journey you are on. And if you don't look for them...you will miss them.  There is treasure in these broken ruins.

4 comments:

  1. I remember when sitting across from you at Road to Exec at Franks. You were getting ready to go to Africa the very next week. You amazed me then with your quiet strength. Please know that we are praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. Still keeping you in my prayers. I'm so sorry you have to go through whatever you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this, and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still praying, as well, Janice… And once again, you've encouraged me. :)

    If you haven't read/heard Ann Voskamp's message on gifts, I encourage you to look her up… I think you'd love it. She's one of my favorites!! Hang in there, dear one… praying and sending love from Memphis, TN!! xo

    ReplyDelete