Saturday, October 22, 2016

Raging Seas.

I woke up a few days ago with the storm of Acts 27 on my mind.

So...obviously...I read it. There was clearly something for me to see.

The Shipwreck

27 On the fourteenth night we were still being driven across the Adriatic[c] Sea, when about midnight the sailors sensed they were approaching land. 28 They took soundings and found that the water was a hundred and twenty feet[d] deep. A short time later they took soundings again and found it was ninety feet[e] deep.29 Fearing that we would be dashed against the rocks, they dropped four anchors from the stern and prayed for daylight. 30 In an attempt to escape from the ship, the sailors let the lifeboat down into the sea, pretending they were going to lower some anchors from the bow. 31 Then Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, “Unless these men stay with the ship, you cannot be saved.” 32 So the soldiers cut the ropes that held the lifeboat and let it drift away.
33 Just before dawn Paul urged them all to eat. “For the last fourteen days,” he said, “you have been in constant suspense and have gone without food—you haven’t eaten anything. 34 Now I urge you to take some food. You need it to survive. Not one of you will lose a single hair from his head.” 35 After he said this, he took some bread and gave thanks to God in front of them all. Then he broke itand began to eat. 36 They were all encouraged and ate some food themselves.37 Altogether there were 276 of us on board. 38 When they had eaten as much as they wanted, they lightened the ship by throwing the grain into the sea.
39 When daylight came, they did not recognize the land, but they saw a bay with a sandy beach, where they decided to run the ship aground if they could. 40 Cutting loose the anchors, they left them in the sea and at the same time untied the ropes that held the rudders. Then they hoisted the foresail to the wind and made for the beach. 41 But the ship struck a sandbar and ran aground. The bow stuck fast and would not move, and the stern was broken to pieces by the pounding of the surf.
42 The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners to prevent any of them from swimming away and escaping. 43 But the centurion wanted to spare Paul’s life and kept them from carrying out their plan. He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land. 44 The rest were to get there on planks or on other pieces of the ship. In this way everyone reached land safely.

Growing up, I had read a youth book on that storm so it was always a favorite. You know when you have a favorite Bible story...? You know all the details about it? Yeah.

Or not.

I didn't remember AT ALL that an angel appeared to Paul and told him they would all survive.

I did remember that they went through a horrific storm.

But reading that the angel appeared and told Paul they'd all survive...yet they still went through a horrific 14 day nightmare on the sea...

Well that's a big deal.

It was so horrific that the other men refused to eat the full 14 days. Paul however...he had this calm.  He knew they'd survive. He actually knew not a hair would be lost from anyone.  And that carried him through the storm in peace.

We have been very clear. We are in a storm.  THE storm.  God has shown up time and time again. I've woken in the night with the song "good good Father" in my head. I have had friends who knew NOTHING of what we are going through tell me they felt strongly they should tell me a verse or devotional they were reading that God nudged them it was for us. And many times, we have been brought to tears reading them. They were so very applicable.

God telling us...we would survive the storm.

But...not calming the seas.

We are still in the storm.

There is so much light at the end of the tunnel...but it still (for me) seems a long ways off. Can we humbly ask that you pray for our family? All of us. Please pray.

Life has been a whirlwind of events and I have zero doubt that I will look back on this year of our lives and wonder if I really lived it.  Or if it was a fuzzy dream.  Yet forever we will have the scars to remind us...we indeed lived it.

Broken.  Shattered.  Beaten. Barely the strength or desire to 'keep eating while on these raging seas'...yet hearing God's promises over and over. Many times...through you.  The random gifts in the mail from people we barely know. The messages that show up with verses I don't even remember reading before. How could they be so applicable?  Seeing a movie and walking out sobbing because the parallels of our story were so unexpected. The people near and far...rallying around us to do battle with us.  In this storm.

Please, we are once again asking...rally around us with your prayers.  War Room style prayers on our behalf.  Pray that our family would be protected at every level.  That God would part seas. Open hearts to see truth. And set up an army to fight for us.


17 comments:

  1. Praying you through this storm... It will not consume you, my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was pressing you to my heart all evening. Praying for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely praying for your family to make it through with the least amt of scar tissue. Your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely praying for your family to make it through with the least amt of scar tissue. Your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes the scars will be deep and last a lifetime. Thank you for praying.

      Delete
  5. 🙏❤️🙏❤️
    Praying for all of you...always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continually praying my friend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for you and your lovely family. May peace fill your heart as you continue through the storm. He loves you BIG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you! XO

      Delete
  8. Janice & family - You all have been weighing on my heart for some time. ..It may seem odd, but sometimes my heart just aches for your family, even though I do not know the specifics of your storm, yet I just know that it is a God sent ache reminding me to lift you all up to His loving arms to hold you through this time. Continuing to lift you up in prayer Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always praying friend. You're never very far from my mind. x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seas have lifted up, Lord,
      the seas have lifted up their voice;
      the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
      **Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
      mightier than the breakers of the sea—
      the Lord on high is MIGHTY. ** Psalm 93:3-4 And HE is your Rock and Hiding Place. x0x

      Delete
  10. I'm just catching up on your last year or so. You will be at the top of my prayer list. I have your picture for a publication of our mutual business & I'm going to put it in my office/prayer room.
    You're an inspiration.
    You know where to access & plug in to supernatural strength, even at your weakest time.
    I love the name of your blog & the song that I'm guessing inspired it ("it seems like chaos, but somehow here's peace")
    I hope to give you a big hug in May if we are both in Salt Lake City at the same time. 💕

    ReplyDelete